Brûléed Peanut Butter Oatmeal
The first time I made this recipe we had just bought a blow-torch to sear meat, but the man in me wanted to set more things on fire. It sounds far more decadent than it actually is, there isn't any sugar in the actual oatmeal (other than whatever's in the peanut butter.)
- Pressure Cooker (Not required, but if you don't have one, you should.)
Makes 4 servings.
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- Melt butter over medium heat in the pressure cooker. Add oats and toast for 5 minutes or until you smell a nutty aroma.
- Add water and salt. Put the lid on the pressure cooker and turn the heat up to high. When the pressure cooker has reached full pressure reduce the heat (I have an electric range, so like to have a second unit on low for this step) reduce the heat to low and let cook for 7 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter.
- Divide evenly between four bowls. Make sure to smooth out the oatmeal in the bowl, any un-evenness is likely to get burnt by the blowtorch.
- Sprinkle one teaspoon of sugar evenly over the oatmeal in each bowl.
- Using slow and steady movements melt and caramelize the sugar with the blowtorch.